Monday, May 21, 2012

Tim Burton's Playing Cards


So I was in Barnes and Noble and browsing the games section and stumbled across a deck of Tim Burton cards. It was around five bucks and I got one. So I'll start with the good bits and work my way down. Firstly the art is very Tim Burton's Melancholy Tales of Oyster Boy and I like it. You can tell that at the very least these are Tim Burton's images (a quick google says that he oversaw their production and the use ofhis characters.) I like the look, especially the backs. Unfortunately that's about all the good I can say about them. My biggest gripe graphically is that the various suits all have the same face cards. That is all the kings, queens, jacks, and aces have the exact same picture across the suits. Some variety would be nice. The next problem with the cards is the finish or lack of one. The cards feel funny and the box makes no mention of any sort of finish but they feel like what I think those cards marked plastic would feel like. My mother said they feel "dry". They don't handle very well at all and don't feel good in the hands. In the picture you can see the extreme clumping when I spread them. The back is also obviously one way.

All in all I have to say these cards are cheap collectors items only made to cash in on Tim Burton's name and style. I could not even see playing a regular card game with these cards. Although being a collector I'm probably going to buy another so I can have an unopened pack for my collection. Unopened is the equivalent of a mint condition trading card in the playing card collecting circles.

If you found this review to helpful or you thought it sucked let me know in the comments section.



No comments:

Post a Comment